Thursday, March 24, 2011

Isaiah 40:31

So, no job yet... That's the elephant in the blog. Now for some rhinos...

Melissa and I had an amazing visit to Chicago and a wonderful time with Brad and Jamie. They were very hospitable, and Melissa and I couldn't have had a more exciting trip. Chinatown was very interesting, particularly the smells. On our first night Brad told us we would be helping tutor at the Pui Tek Center, which caused a fair amount of dread to rise inside of me, since I am not a learned man. Melissa also felt similar feelings of doubt. However, it turned out to be exceptionally motivating and quite fascinating. Our task was simple, we had to talk about anything normal people talk about to English learning Asians, but of course I eventually ran out of things to say. After attempting to explain the meaning of the word 'alien', I drew pictures to show the difference between a boogie board (which I spelled boogey) and a surf board. Nevertheless the kind Asian fellow across from me smiled and laughed and nodded to every thing the white devil had to say. We did get to do other things as well, like walk around Chicago, see 'The Bean', ride the bus and trains, walk through the observatorium (?), eat some genuine Chinese food, and Second City was out of sight. The show was hilarious. Top rate! And overall the trip was fantastic! Thanks Brad and Jamie, you two sure know how to show a good time.

Come to think of it, I don't really know how to put pictures in here... let me try this...

google

Hopefully that worked...

Anyway, good news everybody! Melissa was offered a temporary position as an H.R. administrator at "the Y" (which is the new name for the YMCA) where she has been interning for the last 8 months or so. She will basically be part of a 3-person team that is covering for the head H.R. lady, who is going on maternity leave. It's very exciting for Melissa, and she will start making $14 an hour, 40 hours a week, next Monday. Which is a huge blessing since I have yet to find a job yet... :( The lady who is going on maternity leave said that I should just go serve some where, but I was hoping to avoid that notion. Unfortunately, it looks like I am running out of options. I even applied for a movie theater job... :) Luckily, money has not been an issue for us yet, mostly because the garage door company gave me two weeks severance pay, which was pretty cool. Also I've already received two weeks worth of unemployment. It's not a whole lot of money, but it has really helped us pay all our bills and rent, which means we're completely covered till late next month.

In brighter news. I received a credit on my card for not cancelling it. You see, I got a new credit card, transfered the remaining balance from my old card and attempted to cancel it. The guy I spoke with was very convincing, something to the tune of $30. So I told him I'd keep the card till the next annual fee was due and cancel then. Melissa and I applied that credit towards a new cat condo! I know what you're thinking, "What a waste of money!" But so far the kitties like it, and it wasn't all that expensive. Hopefully these pictures are working, if so, here is a blurry image from my phone of the cats enjoying a good lounge in the penthouse of the condo.

Photobucket

O.K., enough about cats and jobs. I'm really deciding on what to do about my VBI classes. I still have not finished my final essay from the first class I took. Fortunately, it's a European grading scheme, so time is not a priority. But, I'm finding that writing papers is not one of my fortes. It can take me days to get through a couple paragraphs, perhaps I just edit too much or over think the whole process, but it's definitely hard for me to finish. The classes are close to $500 each or $200 with scholarship, but I told them that I was going to try to pay the full cost eventually, since the money goes towards keeping the classes alive. I just feel a bit inadequate, particularly with the papers. The class itself is awesome, I love reading the material and discussing it, I'm just not a profound writer... I have already missed the first day of the next class, and Bobby emailed me asking if we can hang out or if I know if God still wants me to go to VBI, so I need to make a decision. Maybe just pray that I can sort it out, and in a timely fashion.

Well, thanks Mom for reading all this (or whoever else was crazy enough to read this entire ramble) and hopefully Melissa and I will be seeing all of you very soon!

Love,
Daniel

8 comments:

  1. i read the whole thing! and i am commenting first!

    that is so cool for Melissa (and you) with the job. what exactly will she be doing there? is it fairly normal hours and stuff?

    so jealous of you guys going to chicago, and especially of Second City. we will go one day :(

    i will keep praying for your job and VBI. I am sure you are just being too critical of your writing, because even in this blog it is obvious that you have an idea of what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, I love the cat condo!! I want one now too!

    You're going to find a job, just like you always do and just in the nick of time. God tends to work that way. I'll be praying for you none the less though.

    I completely understand you as far as the writing bit goes. It was always like pulling teeth for me. But, if it's something you're passionate about, you just have to grit your teeth and get 'er done.

    I love you, thanks for updating so I know what to be praying for. See you soon I'm sure!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad you had fun in Chicago! When we're rich and bored we'll go up there and visit them too!

    I saw that Tom Brady pic a lot during fantasy football, but it's still HILARIOUS to me!

    I'm sorry you feel undecided about VBI... I hate those times of not knowing exactly what God wants for you. However, feeling inadequate doesn't seem like a good excuse to stop...

    Anyway, I love you and I think you're awesome... Hopefully God will provide a job for you soon!

    -Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. DANIEL!!! WTF?!!?! I was a writing tutor for five years! Helping people write and writing is literally ALL I'VE DONE FOR 6 YEARS NOW!!!

    If you're having trouble writing, talk to me! Writing doesn't come natural to most anyone (most people who think they're natural writers are just terrible writers who don't know any better).

    Writing takes practice, and if writing feels like a roadblock for you at VBI, it shouldn't! It's not a roadblock; it's just part of the process, part of the work out -- it's what makes you better at everything else you do! If you can improve your writing, then you improve your communication as whole, which is something employers are desperate for world wide.

    Give me a call, and we can discuss your paper and how to write (and write fast!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this during class and starting laughing hysterically at that picture of Tom...I unlike Janelle have never seen it before!

    Chicago really was fantastic! There are so many neat things in the big city. We must make another trip one day.

    Jessica - we love the cat condo and would love to help you pick one out!

    Matt - My job will be mostly Mon-Fri 9-5 like it is now. I will be conducting interviews, leading orientation for our new hires, dealing with workers comp. situations, reconciling benefit bills, doing reference checks, background checks, submitting information in regards to unemployment claims, dealing moderately with employee relation issues, and loads of other office work. The big thing will be hiring the 300 - 400 people for the summer. Talk about madness, but it's fun and in a christian environment so it's great!

    Daniel - You'll figure out VBI...I'm sure you will make the right decision based on where you are with God and where he wants you to be. I love you!

    And I love all you Woodrums and Greenes too!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great update Son!
    We'll be praying with you and trusting with you that God will open up the right job, and as Jess said, in the right time. Hang in there and don't get discouraged...you have a lot to offer this world.

    Cat condo.

    I had to close the door so that Frumptious didn't see this and get ideas.

    We'll also be praying with you about VBI...but personally I'd really love to see you follow through with it...if money becomes the issue, I'm sure we can help...but if it's just writing papers, I have confidence in you that you are very capable. But I know you'll follow God's leading, and I'll trust that He'll make your way clearer, and I'll support you which ever way you decide.

    Thanks for the update.

    Melissa, we love you too!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  7. I want a cat condo too, but first several cats, kinda like this one:
    >^^<
    Wow, Melissa your job sounds crazy!

    It was really nice to see you guys and hang out for a few days!

    It still makes me smile to think about you explaining the difference between a boogie board and a surf board. I'll keep you in my prayers :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Daniel!

    It's funny that you mentioned me at the beginning of this post being one to read it...I in fact just today have read it, and am apparently the last one to do so. Aunt Madi was here from the 24th-29th so I was not able to get to my computer as often as usual, and nobody told me (wah!) that you posted.

    My heart goes out to you about the writing, but I think everyone has given you excellent advice already. "I can see it in my mind, and it's beautfiul." You can do whatever you set your mind to...and I think all of us have to do things we are not crazy about. Just pretend it is something you have to do for work!

    I'm so glad that you kids had a great time in Chi-town, I'm proud of you two for taking on such an adventure.

    Love you all so much, and YAY for the kitty condo!

    ReplyDelete