Monday, February 21, 2011

A Cohen Brothers-Type Update

...Meaning it is in bullet form, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
  • Last week, I turned in my 2 weeks notice (while simultaneously offering to teach an addition two weeks, making it veritably 1 month's notice). Instead of wishing me well, my boss gave me a typical Chinese guilt trip. This made me sad.
  • I am now doing freelance work full time -- part of my time going to editing with McGraw-Hill (where I get $45/hr), the rest spread between:
    • editing and contributing to the upcoming book The Process Report 2011 about the Rays,
    • maintaining the Cubs Stats blog while working on our upcoming and yet-titled book (we hope to release it by the All-Star Break),
    • completing the first draft of my labor of love, Scone the Rat, the novel I have put ~3 full years of labor into,
    • continue writing on Homebody Abroad and submitting short stories and poems to contests,
    • and completing a graphic novel script I am preparing to pitch to dad. I don't feel like he liked my idea when I initially mentioned it to him, so I building a base of research before I give him my second pitch.
  • Things are going well with our church, Cornerstone. I sat in on a bylaws committee yesterday, which was kind of a bummer because everyone but me wants a traditional western church structure: the whole membership, voting, an-elder-trumps-a-deacon format. Oh well, not everyone can be Eastgate. :(
  • Because my (technically second) Christmas grift to Jamie fell through (a Groupon for yoga), we used a gift certificate (and some hard-earned cashed) to purchase an XBOX Kinect and the game Dance Central. Both are amazing.
  • In some pretty sad news, it sounds like about ~75% of our friends are allergic to cats. My dreams of becoming an old cat lady, well I guess "man," will have to wait until our (hopeful and eventual) return to Florida.
  • It's starting to feel like: Us returning to Florida = Paul's intentions to visit Rome (i.e. talked about often, yet only accomplished post-incarceration).
That's all of which I can think.

I love you guys!

13 comments:

  1. I like the bullet-Cohen brothers-style of blog. You are quite the writer (funny, I had a problem spelling that word "writer", duh). It's amazing to me how much writing you are doing, and I'm ever so proud of you!

    Sorry about the church format issue, but maybe it won't be a big deal once it's implemented...

    I don't like your Florida comment though, booo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm assuming that if I'm in jail, you're all in jail too... Even if I have to lie to get you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well at least there are many opportunities for you in Chicago. I mean, $45 an hour is livible. The notion of never completely returning to the tropical air is a bit stifling, but the notion can be overlooked with the idea of eliminating a chuck of debt. Which I hope you are saving some x-box money for such. :)

    I miss you Brad and I can't wait to see you in a couple weeks!

    - Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Actually, my new job affords us a great deal of flexibility -- we can now move around the country without me needing to change jobs. This makes Florida -- and Panama City -- a much more realistic option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BRADLEY! You have to come back to Florida. I was reading your blog, listening to the birds sing. Life was happy, I was happy. Then that dreadful bullet point hit and the bird's singing came to a screeching halt.

    The cat bullet made me sad too. But, I understand. There are several people who can't come to our apartment because their heads will explode from all the animal dander.

    I'm excited and scared about your freelance work.

    Freelancing is a hard job, but if anyone can do it I know you can. Do you subscribe to any of the freelance blogs? They're usually good about updating about opportunities and contests. (I subscribe to the freelance design blogs - that's why I ask.)

    Well, I'm off to go read your poem on Homebody. Love you!

    *Had to edit my bad grammar, thus the re-post.*

    ReplyDelete
  7. HEy Breedly!

    Listen youre coming back to Florida because God likes us too much to keep us apart. Besides what about my dream of decorating one of your rooms spongebob themed??

    Now listen, here's what you do:

    Get in a box with some stuff/ people you like.

    Hop on down to Fuhloreeda and we'll see you soon!

    Love you Brad, you're awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jessica: No, I don't presently subscribe to any freelance blogs, and I probably should. Part of the problem is that I'm already so busy with my present freelancing stuff that I don't necessarily have time (or really a need) to look for more opportunities right now. I probably should start reducing my workload, actually!

    @Janelle: You're welcome to make ALL of my rooms Spongebob themed!

    I feel like my Flo-rida joke totally missed its mark: I didn't intend to say, "Yeah, we won't come to Florida until I'm almost dead." I merely meant to make a prison joke.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um...I just want to note that Brad wrote, all of HIS rooms, not OUR rooms...so, I agree, it would be great to make his office Sponge Bob themed! :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. come home please. we miss you guys. love, the cool sibling

    ReplyDelete
  11. How come this post was here all week long and no one told me about it? I see your little games for what they are... "Hey, lets have a nice post about prison and the Cohen brothers and Spongebob, but we'll edge the old man out because he smells funny!" I get it now.

    Pitch me yon graphic novel idear son! But...how will you write a graphic novel whilst attending to the other 19,000 writing projects you're currently engaged with? No matter...pitch it!

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete