Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Summer Schools and Summer Jobs


This is my desktop background at work.

Hey everyone!

By now, a few of you know that I recently found employment in Chinatown, but I'd like to elaborate on the details. Basically, about two weeks ago, some of the Americorps workers at the Pui Tak Center -- where I volunteer as an ESL (English as a second language) tutor and pronunciation teacher -- told me they had a summer internship position opening and suggested I apply. Well, I almost forgot about it, but applied at the last second and got the position! The job is about 30 hours a week with a $2000 stipend, plus a $1000 tuition waiver upon my completion of the program. With the tuition waiver, it works out to about $10 an hour -- and a big bonus to my resume.

My focus at the Pui Tak Center is twofold: (1) build a foundation of curriculum for future pronunciation teachers and (2) conduct an ACT Prep class for ESL high school students. I'm much more excited about objective (1), especially since they didn't tell me anything about number (2) until after they hired me.

In the meantime, I'm taking two classes this summer, which means I should be able to finish my masters degree by December. However, teaching at the Pui Tak has led me to reconsider pursuing my doctorate. It It's something I'm still quite wary of, but I'm becoming less and less off-put by the notion of teaching as a career. I've looked into the program at the University of Illinois Chicago (UIC), and I think there's a very good chance I could not only get accepted, but go entirely for free.

In addition to opening teaching opportunities, a PhD also means I will: (a) have a better shot at working for the Federal Reserve, (b) have a better opportunity to become a published researcher and writer, and (c) possibly price myself out of working for a baseball team. I'm not so sure about point (c), but it seems probable -- and disheartening.

Anyway, if there was one thing I would want everyone to pray about, it would be about this -- about school. I almost feel like God deliberately kept me from other job opportunities this summer (I turned down two jobs, and didn't hear back from dozens of others) so he could specifically get me to teach.

Outside of that, I shaved -- as many of you already know. Each day I wake up and say, "I'm going to grow my beard back today." And then I go shave again. I really feel like my hair is getting too long to not have a beard, but it's so hot outside!

Mom, when you get here, can you help Jamie give me a non-Mohawk hairstyle? We don't know how to do it.

In other news, Daniel graciously paid for this month's MLB.tv subscription! For those of you using that service, please be sure to thank Daniel! I've become too poor of late to afford that extra payment -- also our internet asplodes about every ten minutes.

I'm so excited about mom, dad, and Jessica coming to Chicago! Jamie and I keep talking about all the places we want to take our family, and now we will finally have a chance!

11 comments:

  1. Woo, what a great newsy post. Thank you so much for giving the details of your work. I have been trying to tell people about it, with limited details. I knew key words like "Americorps", and "$2,000.00/$1,000.00", while Dad knew the word "Chinatown". It didn't really explain very much to people, and they would sort of glaze over while I was telling them...

    I'm excited about your schooling, and well, your overall ambition. I know that you can do whatever you set your mind to. Being a professor would enable you also to stay in school, which seems to be a good fit for you.

    I would be happy to show how to do "the haircut", the only one I know. Do you guys have an electric razor? I assume you do, since you have doing the mowhawk. What about hair cutting scissors?

    SORRY about the baseball account, dad has been telling me that we need to pay for that anyway. So we want to.

    Love you and looking forward to hanging with you kids too. NO worries about money while we are there, okay? We will all enjoy ourselves, and have a GREAT time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Brad, that's awesome. I'm so happy to hear that God provided you with just the right job and possibly the right career path.

    I will certainly be praying for you and I know that God will give you the wisdom to see what it is you're supposed to do.

    Lately I have been learning to rest in the peace that God has a plan. It's something I have to remind myself of daily, but I would encourage you to do the same.

    I love you and I can't wait to see you! Can you believe it's less than two weeks away! Ahh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfesser Woodrum huh? man...that's amazing stuff! I am so proud of your great aspirations...and I know you will be successful in any venture you set your mind to doing. Especially if your mind is surrounded by 100% less Mohawk.

    Counting down the days until our trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am just sad i will not be in chicago....i just read that part in the john hodgman book about how he thinks chicago is a mythical land that doesn't actually exist. pretty darn funny, if i do say so myself!

    -matt

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work, though, if I may damper, rather soil, your work a bit with the following brief analysis:

    Paragraph 3, Sentence 3 - "It something I'm still quite weary of..."
    In this instance, I would consider using 'it is' or even the contraction 'it's', for clarity. Unfortunately, as it is, the sentence sounds heavily swayed by perhaps your students or maybe the general building in which your tutor.
    Just give it some thought.

    Anyway, I am glad to help in any way, even if it is just money to watch baseball. I hope as time progresses, I will be able to help in other ways, *wink wink*.

    I love you Brad, and am extremely proud to call you kin. Keep up the hard work!

    Love,

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robbie - we have scissors that came with the razor. So far, we've use the razor, but I'm afraid to try much with the scissors...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the comments everyone!

    A couple of notes:

    1) I've decided to grow my beard out for real. I started this morning and I'm happy with the early progress.

    2) I fixed the typo in the 3rd paragraph.

    3) I'm very happy that Matt is reading John Hodgman.

    4) Daniel, you should move to Chicago and get an fine arts degree in music at Roosevelt so we can play on the club baseball team together.

    5) Rob: If I get my PhD, I would require friends, family, and student to call me not "perfessor," but instead "Doc."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually...I think the mantle of "The Great Watash" gets bestowed on any Woodrum with a doctorate. I'll have to check the rules on that and get back to you.

    I can picture it now...Bradley with a foot-long braided beard and a Bedazzled eye patch, introducing himself to the class in the lecture hall, "I'm Perfessor Woodram, but you will address me as Oh Great Watash." Imagine the awed hush that would inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh sorry I haven't been able to comment...just recently have been able to get to a computer with intranet. I don't want you to grow the beard and that's final.

    I'm excited about your job/ schooling. I miss you guys so much!

    Good job on collecting so many comments

    ReplyDelete