Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Classes, Summer, and Summer Classes

I promised I would post over the weekend, but our internet disappeared -- presumably on some mad, bandwidth-drinking binge. Anyway, our super-shoddy internet aside, I've been spending the last few days: 1) preparing for midterms and 2) preparing for the summer.

Thus far, my classes have been going very well. I get along well with my professors, and they seem genuinely interested in my well-being and future -- which is about the most I could ask for. Just a week or two ago, I was at the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago and one of my professors introduced me to this guy, Bill Testa, who informed me that the Fed was not likely to have any interns this summer.

This both bums me out and brings me to my next point: I've already applied for two internships (dream internships, at that), one at the Fed and one with the Cubs. I'm really pulling for the one with the Cubs (which is probably good, given Bill's forecast), because -- in all honesty -- my ultimate aim of working at the Fed is building my stats-cred so I can get a job in baseball. I've also examined some other internships with investment firms and risk analysis groups -- positions that I would probably find very interesting, but ultimately wouldn't want to do forever.

In the meantime, I signed up for a summer class at Roosevelt (did you guys know that I write for their Writing Center Blog?). If I pass the summer class (which -- my professor all but assured me -- I will), then I should be able to finish my Masters in one more semester, or two semesters of part-time classes (which would be great if I'm working by then).

In other news, Daniel and I have been trying, fruitlessly, for weeks now to play each other in Madden via XBOX 360, but technology has confounded us on every turn. Hopefully, though, I will be able to hammer out some of the problems this spring break and commence with the butt-whoopings. Also, today I went outside without my coat, and I found the weather chilly, but tolerable in my t-shirt. Oddly, though, I think I will miss winter (I really like the cold, except for how it makes my nose runny).

4 comments:

  1. Wow...nice newsy post! I really liked the punctuation kitten on the Writing Center blog; I'm much more informed about semicolon usage; I like the idea of a super comma.

    here's hoping you get the Cubs internship!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be so amazing if you got it. If anyone that I know could get it, it's you!

    I think it's silly that you like the cold weather. Personally this has been the most miserable winter ever. I'm dying for spring!

    Ps. I get to see you in just a couple of months!! Yay!!

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. why do you get to see him in a few months???

    Also, it took me a second to realize that the underlined words were hyperlinks- I thought you were just really enthusiastic about random things.

    thanks for the update... think about it, you could be the george castanza of chicago (because he worked for a baseball team and wore glasses and lived with his parents once...in a good way!)

    ReplyDelete