Monday, April 12, 2010

A Mom Update

Hey Kids-

Well, it's been sort of nice to be done with the comic book, but we both are looking forward to the next one. All of a sudden we feel a little bit like we lack purpose and direction. However, I finally did get to some things done I had been wanting and needing to do...yard work (the weeds were higher than the hot tub), sewing and general housework. During the 6 weeks or so of work on the comic book I didn't spend any money on anything other than groceries, gas and taco bell. BUT that is over, and I went to bed, bath and beyond and bought a new bedspread for Janelle's bed and then I ordered the coordinating dust ruffle from e-bay. I cut that dust ruffle up and Velcroed to the bed frame so it doesn't always slip around, then used the material from the back side of it to make a curtain and a pillow. That was fun. Now I'm working on matching outfits for Nate's kids using left over material from Janelle's wedding. I'll include a photo of those when I'm done.

Today is Chuckie's birthday so we are going to take him to Capt. Anderson's for dinner. Oh, if you think of it, maybe you could send him a happy b'day e-mail (he doesn't do facebook really). My mom is buying Rob and Chuckie matching shirts and is hoping they will wear them both to dinner tonight, yay. Dad is a good sport about all of that.

We finally got the pool quote that we can afford and he is supposed to be here this week to sign the contract and start no later than 2 weeks from now. This price ($3900 for resurface, $1500 for hot tub) will include a demo of the hot tub and filling that space with concrete. Dad wants to put a patio umbrella there when it's all done.

We are sure enjoying the warm weather that has finally arrived. Dad took an afternoon nap outside yesterday and got sunburned. A couple of large turtles have shown up in the yard and all the plants are starting to sprout. The azaleas are blooming and the orange tree has HUNDREDS of blooms on it. Of course the weeds are coming too, and the great weather represents weekly yard work, but that's all part of it.

I got my hair done by a lady at Eastgate who has been nagging me to come to her for some time. I waited until Kathy Cravatta moved to see her, and she finally cut/colored my hair last Thursday. She did a great job, but she cost me an arm and a leg! Move than I have EVER spent on hair! She gave me a "deal", half off and only charged me $75. I told her she didn't have to give me a deal and she said "ok", so I paid her $100 plus $20 tip. Ouch! I see now why she wanted my business so badly. What does she think pastors make anyway? From the picture you'll see she dyed it my natural color of brown and then put very subtle light highlights all over. I was there for 2 1/2 hours...I like it, but am still getting used to the darker shade.

Ok, I've blabbed on enough. In order to talk to you guys a little more often, could you all let me know what your schedules are, if you know them from week to week? I think about calling but am worried I will interrupt work, or school...thanks so much. I'll put mine here: Work 8-3 on Tuesday and Wednesdays. Other than that, I'm pretty much available except during Eastgate meetings, which you would know anyway. Thanks, kids I love you and miss you all-

Mom

9 comments:

  1. Wow mom! You're so industrious! Do the blooms on the orange tree mean that you will have that many oranges?

    My schedule generally follows these line:

    Monday thru Thursday:
    In class all night.

    All day Tuesday:
    Tutoring -- which means I can text and maybe talk.

    Saturday morning:
    Teaching ESL until noon.

    Sunday morning:
    At CCUC until around 1:30.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom! I love your hair! I'm sorry it was so expensive, but I really like the cut.

    I really like what you did with the bed ruffle, pillow and curtain. It works together so nicely.

    I'm ready to come back and visit you guys now that the yard is filling out! Especially when the concrete is done.

    Have I mentioned lately that I love you? You're just so cute.

    My schedule:

    Mondays - Work until 5:00, talk to you until 6:00.

    Tuesdays - Work until 5, pathways class until 8.

    Wednesdays - Work until 5, burn every other week until 9, then dinner, get home usually around 11.

    Thursdays - Work until 5, bible study from 7-9.

    Friday - Work until 5.

    Saturday - Beaching and bike riding.

    Sunday - Church until 1-ish.

    Has anyone heard about what happened with Melissa's car?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh so many things to comment on- first- i'm usually available to talk monday afternoons (after 6), Thursdays after 1, and saturday and sunday afternoons.... Thank you!

    The bed looks great- how clever to use velcro- what made you think of that??

    Gosh I'm so sorry about the hair- It looks good but it's almost like she took advantage of you with a price like that... I hope its okay if you don't keep going there. Kinda frustrating that lady.

    I was wondering what you guys were going to do with all of your new free time... hopefully God will show you new exciting ways of rest and relaxation that can take up your time.

    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wait, what are you doing to the pool?! pool volleyball is my favorite sport ever, so that better not end....and yes, pool volleyball IS a sport

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janelle-the pool is going to get resurfaced, hopefully sometime in the next few weeks. We're still waiting to get a definite time.

    Jess-Daniel called dad and said that they went to the dealership and didn't offer much help at first, but then Melissa cried...THEN they cut the cost down, and fixed it for "only" $100. I think they were okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing melts a man's defenses like a woman's tears, and cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mom- that wasn't me complaining about the pool, i remember our conversations about what your plans were over easter.

    It was matt who posted that, I think he forgets that he has to sign his name.

    -janelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you are a machine! The good kind, of course...whatever that means, but seriously, it looks great!

    I like your hair! I like the color too, but maybe it will lighten a little anyway from the sun.

    Oh, I miss taking naps outside! It is getting warm here too, so hopefully they will open up the pool soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mom - I work 8am - 5.30pm everyday except my off days - Sunday and Wednesday. Other than that I am entertaining Melissa or Tommy.
    I can't wait to see how the pool looks next time I visit. And you truly do amaze me with all the things you can get done in one week... or day... or even hour. They just don't make moms like they used to. Love you!

    ReplyDelete