Friday, April 23, 2010

Summer Plans


For those who didn't know, I had a grueling, 3.5-hour job interview on Monday. After putting all the time and effort into the interview, I'm no longer certain if I even want the job. I haven't had any peace about the subject all week, until a day or two ago when Jamie and I decided it would be best to decline if they offered me a job. It's still hard to say exactly why I didn't feel good about the job, especially since we could really use some solid income, like, right now; but today, I talked with one of my professors about an independent study I plan to take this summer, and he noted something interesting that I hadn't really considered before: Apparently, in recessions, when the labor market is really tight and everyone's looking for work, people are inclined to take the first job offer they receive. This results in people entering career paths that don't best suit their interests or skills, and since people tend to stick with a general career path, this first job defines the remainder of their lives. (In turn, the society as a whole suffers as thousands of people fail to reach their highest potential.)

I don't know if that's why I don't feel good about this job, but it's very true that the offer is not really in line with my ultimate career goals (to work for the Tampa Bay Rays or Cubs, or writing [about economics]). Also, adding a job at $40K per year, but still taking classes would actually carry the potential of worsening our financial situation (i.e. still no cats, and possibly having to move to the ghetto). The difference, in terms of actual weekly and monthly obligations for us, of $40K and $45K is monumental, so we would be better served to hold out for a little more.

So, on Tuesday I applied to about 6 or 7 more opportunities, namely some summer internships or internship-type jobs. So, if you guys remember, please keep me in your prayers that I might navigate this summer prudently and according to God's big, sometimes secret plan.

In the meantime, Jamie and I have continued to train for the Chinatown 5K. Yesterday, I ran a 5K in about 24 minutes, which is about 4 minutes slower than I want to, so I'm still far away from my goals. Additionally, we are now in possession of three different kinds of Oreos (peanut butter, chocolate, and reduced fat -- which is hilarious). I have deemed all three kinds of these Oreos contrary to my running goals, but too delicious to resist.

Also, and I don't know if Melissa reads this or not, but Daniel and Melissa: I've been praying for you guys every day, because I'm intimately aware of the pains of wedding planning. If there's anything Jamie or I can do to help you guys (maybe send you a pizza?), let us know.

11 comments:

  1. Well, it certainly sounds like you've been keeping the employment thing before God, and that's the main thing. We'll trust with you that the RIGHT doors will open. I know you've both invested a lot in setting the stage for your careers, so its very wise to walk cautiously here.

    We'll be praying with you that the best thing will open up for you soon.

    Also, if I were you, I'd devise some sort of bag you could hang from your ears and fill it with peanut butter oreos so that you could snack on them hands free whilst running the marathon. just a thought.

    Love you two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too think that you are viewing this job with the right amount of forethought and foresight. As I have told Jess & Dad about your predicament, they both seemed to think that finishing your degree first would probably make the most sense. That being said, flexibility is always the key.

    That 5k sounds amazing. My sister Madi just did a marathon of run 2k, bike 13k, run 2k. I don't know how she did it, but I'm always impressed by people who can at least finish a marathon!

    We're looking forward to seeing you two soon, and are getting closer to making those reservations!

    Love you both-
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh geez, I can't look at this post without laughing at the picture!

    Bradley, let's get going on this oreo-eating contraption. I'm going to need something to keep me going... And I would prefer if I could start using it immediately :)

    With regard to our finances, I have moments where I feel a little panic, but really, God has taken such amazing care of us and I know that He will help us in this situation too. Also, in proverbs, somewhere toward the end, it talks about having enough so that we can praise God, but not too much that we forget how much we need Him. Maybe it's not so bad to be in a position where we have to trust Him. (Not to say that you and I should just sit back and wait, I think it's good we are continuing to look for work.)

    Daniel & Melissa: Yes, I agree, we'd like to help! Let us know if there is anything we can do!

    Robbie: I'm so excited about you guys visiting! I miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH thanks for posting! Good stuff to know- initially i was thinking Gah take the money take the money...but I don't think that's what God is saying so it's good you listen to him and not to me. Howver, God could also be saying "get yo cats" which translates to get some cats.

    Jamie what a great verse in proverbs- do you know exactly where that is? I would like to be able to go to it during all those times of panic through out my day.

    Yes daniel and mel! Let us help however we can! I haven't even seen melissa since you guys have gotten engaged.

    Bradley- where do you run your 5k so fast? in the busy streets of chicago? Also, what's your exact address so i can look at the city on google maps and know where you are in relation to everything.

    Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Proverbs 30:8-9
    "Banish lies from my lips
    and liars from my presence.
    Give me enough food to live on,
    neither too much nor too little.
    If I'm too full, I might get independent,
    saying, 'God? Who needs him?'
    If I'm poor, I might steal
    and dishonor the name of my God."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janelle: We live at 1130 S Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60605.

    Because Michigan Ave has wide sidewalks and the traffic is so predictable, many people run right down the Miracle Mile. However, when I run, I usually do so on a treadmill (if the weather is bad) or along Lake Michigan in Grant Park so I can see the skyline -- which is too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great verse. I will have to save that one as well.

    Brad, I'm proud of you for keeping a level head and not jumping at the first opportunity. I know it's got to be frustrating not having a steady income. But, God is surprisingly good and he will provide the right job at the right time.

    Jamie, I want you to know that I just love you and I'm so glad you're officially a Woodrum now.

    Oh, and I'm excited to have your address so I can start planning for the Chicago trip!! Yes yes yes!!!

    Daniel & Melissa - Let me know what I can do to help as well, I'm starting to feel like a wedding helper pro.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brad - I know God has already put the plan into motion for a work environment pleasing to you and in service to Him, but remember what Solomon(?) said in becoming TOO independent. In that, sometimes the adversity does cause us to cling to Him, so don't be afraid of a challenge. Furthermore, I do believe that you are more than capable of a career change at a later juncture in your life, regardless of what your professor may presume.
    Brad and the Rest - I gotta get Melissa on here because I am useless for wedding info. I know that we almost pretty much maybe definitely settled on a sort of date for the wedding - December 18th, 2010. So, that's about it... Actually, I do know that we will probably have an engagement party on the second weekend in July. So if that date is glaringly bad for anyone, please let me know. I realize it may be hard for Brad and Jamie to make that, even maybe Jess, Jen, & Matt. But we will probably be having it at Melissa's Mom's Pottery Shop, wherein guests will be invited to paint pottery for our kitchen collection and perhaps share a recipe. Then we will have the engagement party in October? November? I am not sure... sorry. I will get Melissa on here post haste!
    I miss and love you all...

    <3 - Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Daniel!

    I too think I could manage a career change if I wanted it; moreover, I think I could easily be excellent at the job they are offering me. I just really don't feel like this the one God wants me to pursue right now. I can't say why, but what my professor said really seemed to fit like a puzzle piece.

    I'm glad your setting your date in December! That makes everything MUCH easier for Jamie and I (at this point, at least).

    Janelle! Send Melissa an invitation to post on this blog!

    ReplyDelete